5 life rules for staying grounded in a modern world

Some days I wake up, reach over and grab my iphone to check emails before my feet have even touched the ground.  Ok, that’s a lie.  Every day I do that.  It seems that in this modern world, we’re always ‘switched on’.

In many ways the advances in technology make life so much easier.  We can communicate with friends all around the world from a device not much larger than a credit card.   For those of us living in remote and regional locations it allows the sense of being connected despite the fact that geography tells us otherwise.  It makes business communication much simpler and more timely whilst also removing physical boundaries: we can work almost anywhere nowdays.

On the other hand, it also means that during a time that should be relaxed and focused on those in our hearts rather than our newsfeed, we can become easily distracted.  Just the other night I received a rather rude email at 9:40pm and my mood immediately changed for the worse.  When I should be winding down and getting ready to relax, I was focused on that one email.

Why did I even look at it so late at night? Because I can.

We are all so used to the beeping notification that signals an incoming email, tweet or mention on Facebook.  It draws our attention and distracts us from the task at hand.

“I’ll just check quickly”  you mumble to yourself as you dive into the online community only to surface 20 minutes later.

I’m in digital marketing so don’t get me wrong: the fact that people have become so dependent on the online world is a blessing for me.  As a mother living in a small country town it is also my connection to the outside world.  I love the fact that I can find someone to chat to in the middle of the night when sleep evades me.  Modern forms of communication have become my lifeline.

It’s such a double-edged sword!

So, I’ve devised a plan.  I’m going to make these 5 rules my mantra from now on:

1. I promise not to read emails after my last cup of tea for the day or before my first cup of coffee in the morning.
  2. I vow to plug my phone in to charge on the kitchen bench rather than my bedside table (I know I’m not the only one who does that!)
  3. From now on, I will no longer ‘check in’ on Facebook when I’m in bed!
  4. After today, I will not be online after the kids get home from school until they’re in bed at night.
  5. Finally, I will no longer send my husband a tweet – from the couch next to him.

That should cover it, don’t you think?

Do you find yourself spending family time online?  What do you do to stop yourself?

1. Jasmine
    August 20, 2012 | 8:10 am

ha – I am the same with the first thing in the morning thing!! I think it comes from using my phone alarm, and allows me to wake up slowly without just rolling over back to sleep. It is a bit of a problem really, especially now we both have ipads, I look at us sitting up in bed with our faces in the screens and think – geez that’s sad! The last few weeks we have been reading books and it is so much nicer!

I keep thinking I will make myself some rules but I just know they will be broken :P Looking forward to hearing how your experiment goes!
    Jasmine recently posted..Buckwheat Galettes – Gluten Free CrepesMy Profile

• workingwomenaustralia
      August 20, 2012 | 5:26 pm

I see my husband and I doing the same thing all too often! We’ll be on opposite couches scrolling through idevices! Such a bad habit. Fingers crossed we make some changes :)

2. Dorothy @ Singular Insanity
    August 20, 2012 | 9:55 am

I’m the same and have occasionally received a message, a comment that spoiled my mood. I know that I do it to stave off loneliness and to prolong the time before I have to get up in the mornings. And because I can.

Recently, though I am getting much better at not being online in the afternoons once the boys are home from school. I may only be faffing around in the kitchen, but at least I’m not plugged. Good luck with your habit change!
    Dorothy @ Singular Insanity recently posted..The 30 things challenge – are you in?My Profile

• workingwomenaustralia
      August 20, 2012 | 5:24 pm

I think that’s a time of day I’m going to have to really concentrate on Dorothy (afternoons). I’m away at the moment and justifying it because I’ve been out all day. The problem is, I can always justify it!

3. Kelly Exeter
    August 20, 2012 | 10:52 am

I have done that whole “I’ll just check my email before going to bed” thing at night and had sleep derailed by a nasty email!! Lesson learned there!!

This is such a timely post Kim because today I am feeling a little ‘over’ myself and I think it is because there is just too much of me out there in the online world at the moment!! So I am actually going to try and back off a bit this week! Let’s see how I go shall we?!
    Kelly Exeter recently posted..Lifehacker Tip #25 – In defence of the love jobMy Profile

• workingwomenaustralia
      August 20, 2012 | 5:23 pm

It’s so easy to spread yourself thin, I’m just trying to recognise when I’m doing it.

4. Mademoiselle Slimalicious
    August 20, 2012 | 12:47 pm

I do dentity myself to these behaviours! I’m an internet AND social media addict. I don’t have a large circle if friends in Australia (i’m from overseas) and I find that being online helps me to not feel lonely. But sometimes I maybe spend too much time online when I should go out and enjoy the sunshine. I try to have two technology free evening a week.
    Mademoiselle Slimalicious recently posted..Forest Biochemistry: Is Pine Needles Extract a Superfood? (+ Siberian Red: Review & Giveaway)My Profile

• workingwomenaustralia
      August 20, 2012 | 5:22 pm

I’m a complete social media addict too Mademoiselle Slimalicious – that is the hardest thing to give up (or cut back)

5. Sue
    August 20, 2012 | 9:15 pm

Gosh, your mantra is a big ask! I have been trying to switch off my work phone for the weekend at least but sometimes I just can’t help myself. Same with general Internet browsing and checking my mail on waking up. Making an effort this week to stay offline a bit, we’ll see how it goes…
    Sue recently posted..App of the Week: ReadabilityMy Profile

6. Dani @ Fitness Food And Style
    August 21, 2012 | 7:30 pm

So lovely to meet you tonight and look forward to visiting often xDani

PS: yes these devices are shocking in our home, both my hubby and I have been found clicka-di-clicka-ta on the couch, so now we place them on charge and don’t go near them until the morning. Yeah right, until I hear a tweet go off ;-) )))
    Dani @ Fitness Food And Style recently posted..Day 8 TT12 – ab challengeMy Profile

7. Krystle
    August 22, 2012 | 3:14 pm

I recently tried to implement rules by setting hours of gadget use. From memory it was before 8am, and if the kids are asleep which sometimes means a window in the afternoon and the evening. It all went by the wayside the first uni assignment I had due though. I try to limit the technology I use, but it’s my husband that frustrates me. The lawn needs mowing and he says he doesn’t have time… And yet he would accumulate hours each week on phones, tablets and computers. Arghhh! And the way he doesn’t really listen properly to the 3 year old when he’s on twitter… An uphill battle that will only worsen when the kids get older.
    Krystle recently posted..Power Bill Shock!!!My Profile